Monday, September 29, 2008

My Good Ass Renal Diet-Friendly Sunday Dinner

I was on the Davita web site again over the weekend because I was feigning mashed potatoes (I haven't had potatoes since June).

I can't have collard or mustard greens, but can have turnip and kale, so i bought some kale and used smoked pork shanks and tossed it in the slow cooker before I went to bed, with about a teaspoon of sugar, a couple of shakes of season salt and two capfuls of vinegar.  Trust me when I say I got up in the middle of the night for a bathroom break and I was eating greens! They were goood! (Actually better than any collards I've fixed).

I got up Sunday morning and prepared the potatoes (see below) and tossed the frozen turkey breast (NO ONE in my household eats dark meat) in the slow cooker before church (I'd taken the greens out, washed it out and put them up).

When I got home, the turkey wasn't quite done, so I hopped into bed and watched the game (go Skins!).

By the time the Bears played, I was feeling like that fat rat on Ratatouille.  Ahhhhhhhh

And I did it all over again today for lunch!

Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Recipe submitted by the DaVita dietitian team.

Portions 4
Serving size 1/2 cup
Ingredients
  • large cooking pot or pan of water
  • 2 cups baking potatoes (2 large potatoes)
  • 2 garlic cloves, peeled
  • 1/4 cup margarine or butter
  • 1/4 cup half and half or liquid nondairy creamer
Preparation
  1. Peel and slice the potatoes into small pieces then add to a large pot of water. Let potatoes soak for at least 4 hours. Drain off water and repeat process. (This is called leaching, which removes some of the potassium.)

  2. Add new water. Boil potatoes and garlic over medium heat until soft.

  3. Drain off cooking water.

  4. Whip potatoes and garlic with beater, slowly adding margarine and creamer until whipped smooth.

Nutrients per serving
  • Calories: 208
  • Protein: 2 g
  • Carbohydrate: 22 g
  • Fat: 12 g
  • Cholesterol: 0 mg
  • Sodium: 111 mg
  • Potassium: 161 mg*
  • Phosphorus: 57 mg 
  • Calcium: 10 mg
  • Fiber: 1.6 g

* Potassium content taken from reference values for soaking potatoes in large pot of water for 4 hours.

Renal and renal diabetic food choices

  • 1 starch
  • 1 vegetable, medium potassium
  • 2 fat

Carbohydrate choices

 

Helpful hints

  • 1-1/2

 

 

  • Leached potatoes can be blanched and frozen in batches. To blanch vegetables, add to boiling water for one minute, remove and rinse in cold water before freezing.
  • Double the garlic for a stronger garlic flavor.

 

 

42 comments:

  1. Okay why can't you have collards or mustard greens?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take that damn biscuit off and it'll be all good...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It ain't a biscuit, it's a roll! And it was all good with it! *thinking I'd better shut up, she said awards plural*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good but i can't have leafy green veggies at all. Those potatoes sound good though. i want to try mashed tatoes with the cauliflower though I seen a recipe like that on Cooking with Elle Krieger on FoodNetwork.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohhhhhhhh ok. So basically you have to avoid foods that have high potassium?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've done it and it's really good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, high potassium and high phosphorus. Corn, peas and a lot of dairy have high phosphorus. I've resorted to drinking rice milk...I sound more and more like you every day. That's what I get for turning my nose up at your squash and hummus, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. *giggles*

    So eating food high in potassium what could happen?

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's a whole page of info at the Davita site http://www.davita.com/diet-and-nutrition/diet-basics/a/491 , but I cut and pasted this section:

    Potassium builds up in the blood between dialysis treatments. The potassium level is determined by the types of foods and how much are eaten, as well as how much kidney function remains. Too much potassium is very dangerous. It can cause muscle weakness and make your heart stop beating. Potassium is easily removed by dialysis. Certain fruits, vegetables, dairy products and other foods that are very high in potassium will need to be restricted on your hemodialysis diet.

    Phosphorus is difficult for hemodialysis to filter from the blood. This mineral can build to high levels in the bloodstream and cause complications to your health, such as weak bones, heart problems, joint pain, or skin ulcers. By limiting foods that contain phosphorus, you lessen the risk of developing other health problems. In addition to a low phosphorus diet, your doctor may prescribe a medicine called a phosphorus binder to help keep phosphorus levels normal.

    Sodium causes your body to hold onto more fluid and raises your blood pressure. You may feel uncomfortable and short of breath if you consume too much sodium and fluid. When excess fluid is removed during dialysis, you can get muscle cramps and feel dizzy and weak during or after treatment. Eating less sodium and drinking less fluid can help you feel comfortable before and after your dialysis sessions.

    Although these minerals may be restricted, your diet will allow the amount of potassium, phosphorus and sodium your body can handle. Your diet will also include a balance of nutrients to help keep your body healthy and strong.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You loving me ain't got a damn thing to do with rice milk, now hush. *muah*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just don't expect a kiss right after drinking some.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow!!! Thanks for posting this info Deedles had no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Even making them from scratch? Dang. How about if you use smoked turkey instead of pork?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes and I could have (and usually do used smoked turkey tails) but I wanted some shanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, I am proud of you doing what you need to do to get and stay healthy. My grandmother on my dad's side was a dialysis patient for as long as I could remember as a child. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  16. ok, I was righ ton ya til you pulled them turkey tails out.... jeez louise!


    the whole recipe sounds good, mama... I did roast beef, rice n gravy, and string beans yesterday (yes, I cooked!). can you eat any of that, or would you have to substitute and/or find some special recipes? I want you to be able to have dinner at the house next time you're here.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That looks really good!

    I always learn something new when I come over here.
    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  18. I shoulda been at your house yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love kale... your meal looks delicioso

    ReplyDelete
  20. looks good! but I can't have the bread or potatoes...
    its awesome that you are monitoring and adjusting your diet in order to stay healthy... I know so many folks that think they can continue to eat anything and just take a pill for their hypertension, diabetes or other serious ailments.

    ReplyDelete
  21. When I started dialysis I was on 7 different medications. Today I'm on 4, 2 of them being vitamins for dialysis patients!

    ReplyDelete
  22. see... that really IS awesome!!!

    I'm diabetic... so I know that starch = sugar... I am now off meds totally... I just diet and excercise... it was a challenge... but not giving up is giving my kids a healthier mom... and me a healthier life.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's what my mom did! I thank God I'm not diabetic!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I applaud both of you... and thank God that I dont have either...

    now if I can just get this friggin bp under control.. lol

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is awesome,D! That food looks so good. I'm definitely going to check out those recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  26. now that is a struggle I'm facing... I am working on my sodium intake... but my pressure wont drop... its not super high yet... but I know it runs in the family... hopefully me losing some weight (15 lbs down!) will help with that.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have started getting potato's and soaking them and then freezing them. Shawn hates that he can't have collards. But I do string beans instead. I did cabbage Sunday. Wasn't sure if he can have that.

    ReplyDelete
  28. because sadly people see the pill as a "cure" not realizing if they do just as Deedles is doing make slow adjustments to their eating, they can actually get off the medications.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ok....I swear it is a hard change. But I love my baby. So I want to keep him around!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I've heard people do it. Ohhhh I'm not feeling well. Let me take a pill.

    That's one of the reasons I like the show the Biggest Loser so much. They prove time and time again, lose weight so much better for your overall health. Many of the contestants come on the show, one foot in the grave, and end up reversing all their medical issues. Well the ones that can be avoided having a healthy weight anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow...I like how proactive you are about it. Best blessings to you. I pray you a full recovery! (((HUGS to you Dee)))

    ReplyDelete