Friday, September 5, 2008

My First Dinner from the Dialysis Recipe Site

Pita Pizza

Recipe from "Cooking for David: A Culinary Dialysis Cookbook" by Sara Colman, RD, CDE and Dorothy Gordon, BS, RN.

Submitted by DaVita dietitian Sara from California.

 

Servings 2
Serving size 1 pizza
Ingredients
  • 2 ounces lean ground pork or ground beef
  • 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • 1/4 cup chopped onions
  • 1/4 cup chopped bell peppers cooking spray
  • 2 pieces six-inch pita bread
  • 2 tablespoons chunky tomato sauce
  • 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese
Preparation
  1. Combine ground meat, pepper flakes, fennel, garlic, onion and bell pepper in a nonstick frying pan. Sauté until cooked.
  2. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and place the pitas on it. Sprinkle with cooked meat and vegetable mixture.
  3. Put 1 tablespoon tomato sauce on top of each pita. Sprinkle with cheese.
  4. Bake 400° F for 5 to 8 minutes.
Nutrients per serving
  • Calories: 284
  • Protein: 16 g
  • Carbohydrates: 34 g
  • Fat: 10 g
  • Cholesterol: l38 mg
  • Sodium: 381 mg
  • Potassium: 303 mg
  • Phosphorus: 189 mg
  • Calcium: 117 mg
  • Fiber: 1.0 g 

Renal and Renal Diabetic Food Choices

 

 

Helpful Hints

  • 1 meat
  • 1 vegetable, medium potassium
  • 2 starch
  • 1 fat

 

  • This Pita Pizza would go well with a piece of fruit such as an apple or pear. You might also choose to snack on a few low sodium pretzels.

12 comments:

  1. This sounds good and I love pita bread too. (peeking over to the background) But that back there looks even better. My teeth hurt looking at that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh I had a double dipped caramel apple today! That joker was goooood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man as bad as my teeth are hurting just looking at that I would have found most of my teeth in that apple. lol. But you know carmel apples aren't so bad it's the candied apples that get me. Those jokers get so hard sometimes you can hardly bite into them. QVC has these and there is another site T Honey gave me that sells these too. I may treat myself for Hallows-eve.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The popcorn shop 4 doors from my job sells em for $2.18. It's my Friday treat til November.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carameml Apples, Pita Pizza! My stomach is growling. Let me get to bed brfore I'm forced to eat something.
    Good night you two.
    And continued success and blessings with your dialysis Sis.
    You will be triumphant in every way.
    ~Safiyyah~

    ReplyDelete
  6. That price doesn't seem bad at all they usually use such big apples. Those green baking ones ( i suppose). Do they just sell the carmel ones or with chocolate on them too?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That actually looks good....and its healthy..hmmm

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was surprisingly good (and I'm finicky)! I got fresh ground pork with italian seasoning from the meat department and the pita bread was crispy like I like my pizza crust. With the toppings, it really didn't taste peppery. I had no need for any other seasonings and one filled me up.

    ReplyDelete