Thursday, April 17, 2008

Do you remember?

XXX

My ex and I were on the phone quite late last night reliving our teen years through music and though we didn't have a lot of money, I have a whole lot of good memories.

I just wanted to share a portion of the things we talked about because I know they'll trigger some memories for you too.

That first 45 I bought with my babysitting money *Prince-I Wanna Be Your Lover*

The console tv in the living room (with the small tv on top of it after its tv went out)

My dad's Monday night football nights Muhammad Ali's boxing matches

Sitting next to my dad as he listened to Al Green on reel to reel

Tv sets with the hanger/aluminum foil combo

the little yellow disks for the middle of your 45's

taping a quarter to the needle so your record wouldn't skip

Hot summer nights and sleeping with the front door open and screen locked

taking your lunch to school in either a metal lunchbox or a brown paper sack

your first love your

first heartbreak

your parents having parties and gathering in the basement to listen to Redd Foxx or Richard Pryor

hitting up all the nearly finished drinks after the party, the next morning

Man, my mom made the BEST frozen daiquiris!! I could always get "sip"

Those were the days!!! I try to relive some of that so my kids can appreciate them like I do..

14 comments:

  1. How about the tv when the channel knob was somehow lost and you had to use pliers to change the channel?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may be a little older but Do you remember going to the store with 25 cents and coming out with a bag of candy and a drink?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wooo ... all of this is waaayyy before my time

    **tipping back out the old folks home**

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't forget being the remote control. I'd be upstairs in my room and get called downstairs to put it on channel 7.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man, for 25 cents I could get an apple stick and a cherry or watermelon stick (jolly ranchers and not the little shits they sell now) and 5 pieces of double bubble!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heffa, you act like we weren't born within a decade of each other! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to rack up on the bit o honey and mary janes. Not the Rick James/Q kind either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you remember having to sit outside on the stoop/porch in the middle of summer while your parents were inside with the shades drawn and you knew better then to knock on the door.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You mean when the Al Green record was turned ALL the way up?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you remember going to the store for you parents to get cigarettes or buying a beer? And the cigarettes only cost 50 cents a pack?

    ReplyDelete