Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Just Another Day In My Life **now open to replies**

This was originally posted not allowing replies, but I got several private notes and I thought I'd save folks a step or two.  PLEASE don't feel obligated to comment!

You probably already know about the kidney failure, but I don't think I've mentioned the anemia (low iron) due to iron deficience and B-12 deficiency.

Makes for some fun times.  Usually freezing when most folks are comfortable.  Tired to the point that I literally lay around all day in bed.  Unable to give blood in a blood drive. 

I've been giving myself Aranesp shots since August.  One every other week, in the abdomen.  (I thank God that I had a C-section because most of the time I can't feel more than a small pinch).

Well, sometimes it gets so low that I have to have iron infused directly into my blood stream.  Today was one of those days.  It's a 4-5 hour process that involves me having to take off work and check in to the day hospital.

They put the I.V. in my left arm (the right arm is off limits because of the dialysis access site **I am NOT on dialysis as of yet!!**) so that means if my veins decide to hide (today was a great vein day), they have to put it on the back of my hand or wrist (THAT SHIT HURTS!!!).

I then sit in a hospital bed for the next 4-5 hours and sleep, read or watch TV.  I wish I had a computer or one of ya'll would come sit with me.

Sounds like so much fun, huh?  Well, it was so much fun, I get to go for another treatment on Thursday.

What Are the Symptoms?

The symptoms of anemia vary according to the type of anemia, the underlying cause, and any underlying health problems. Anemia may be associated with other medical conditions such as hemorrhage, ulcers, menstrual problems or cancer -- and specific symptoms of those conditions may be noticed first.

The body also has a remarkable ability to compensate for early anemia. If your anemia is mild or developed over a long period of time, you may not notice any symptoms.

Symptoms common to many types of anemia include the following:

  • Easy fatigue and loss of energy
  • Unusually rapid heart beat, particularly with exercise
  • Shortness of breath and headache, particularly with exercise
  • Difficulty concentrating
  • Dizziness
  • Pale skin
  • Leg cramps
  • Insomnia

Other symptoms are associated with specific forms of anemia.

Anemia caused by iron deficiency:

  • Hunger for strange substances such as paper, ice, or dirt (a condition called pica).
  • Upward curvature of the nails referred to as koilonychias.
  • Soreness of the mouth with cracks at the corners.

 

Anemia caused by vitamin B-12 deficiency:

  • A tingling, "pins and needles" sensation in the hands or feet.
  • Loss of sense of touch.
  • A wobbly gait and difficulty walking.
  • Clumsiness and stiffness of the arms and legs.
  • Dementia
  • Hallucinations, paranoia and schizophrenia.

 

Anemia caused by chronic lead poisoning:

  • A blue-black line on the gums referred to as a lead line.
  • Abdominal pain
  • Constipation
  • Vomiting

 

Anemia caused by chronic red blood cell destruction:

  • Jaundice (yellow skin and eyes)
  • Brown or red urine
  • Leg ulcers
  • Failure to thrive in infancy
  • Symptoms of gallstones

 

Sickle cell anemia:

  • Fatigue
  • Susceptibility to infection
  • Delayed growth and development in children
  • Episodes of severe pain, especially in the joints, abdomen and limbs

 

Anemia caused by sudden red blood cell destruction:

  • Abdominal pain
  • Brown or red urine
  • Jaundice (yellow skin)
  • Small bruises under the skin
  • Seizures
  • Symptoms of kidney failure

 

Call Your Doctor If:

Call your doctor if you notice any of these signs or symptoms of anemia.

  • Persistent fatigue, breathlessness, rapid heart rate, pale skin, or any other symptoms of anemia
  • Poor diet or inadequate dietary intake of vitamins and minerals
  • Very heavy menstrual periods
  • Symptoms of an ulcer, gastritis, hemorrhoids, or colorectal cancer
  • Concern about environmental exposure to lead
  • A hereditary anemia runs in your family and you would like genetic counseling before having a child
  • Women considering pregnancy -- your doctor will likely recommend that you begin taking supplements, especially folate, even before conception. These supplements benefit both mother and baby.

Yeah, I know you can't comment...I didn't want any comments.  I kinda didn't want to tell it, but if I can tell my story and help prevent someone else from having to go through as much, it's worth it.

28 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your story in order to help others.

    **I WANTED to comment so just SHUT IT!**

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew it would either be you, Kim or G that would break the damn silence...*smh*

    Seriously, thank you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have nothing but great respect for you to open yourself up and tell your story. That shows nothing but courage. It can also help another who is looking for help, but afraid to ask....

    Thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow...thank you, that definitely gave me a whole new insight. Explains a lot and I had some of these symptons but always contributed them to my diabetes. I should go make sure...thanks again for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW. That is ALOT to handle. This is going to be a stupid question, cause I just don't know, but is there anything that you can do to reverse the anemia ? Ya know, like when you are preggers and a person becomes anemic and can change it with iron pills and diet ? At least make the symptoms a little less ?

    **drops off 100.00 for the laptop fund** cause it has got to be really boring to just sit there, although maybe if you are tired, you can catch a nap. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even in a hospital bed, you still manage to flash that smile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to come and keep you company [or keep you awake] while you are there. I have a knack for taking people's minds off of stuff and making them laff and feel encouraged.

    This is also very informative, too. I have a good friend who is currently wrestling with the decision to go on dialysis - we are both praying that she won't need to....so far she has not. Her kidneys are not operating at 100%, at one point, they were operating at 25% but they have improved greatly.

    Yeah, a laptop is definitely needed...and hopefully some cable tv too. I hate when hospitals only give you 3 channels to flip back and forth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, thanks for sharing. I also have iron-deficiency anemia, but not that serious. The only real symptoms I'm aware of that I have is chronic fatigue. In fact, I thought it was chronic fatigue syndrome before I was diagnosed. I don't have it constantly, it just comes and goes as it wills, so I keep iron pills with me at all times just incase it comes back...and no, it doesn't have anything to do with menstrual cycle b/c I don't have one LOL.

    Thanks for sharing, that was informative, I didn't know about all the different types of anemia. I am definitely praying you never have to go on dialysis!

    ReplyDelete
  9. no such thing as a stupid question! For mild anemia, at least for the iron-deficiency anemia, usually taking a time-released iron pill like SlowFE will help, and I imagine it is the same for the other types, where B12 anemia can be alleviated by taking a B12 supplement, but from my understanding, unless you have it b/c of a lot of bleeding, like your menstrual cycle, I don't think you can really cure it or really reverse it, only to alleviate the symptoms and treat it. For some reason with my body, it just doesn't process iron the way it is supposed to, so the only thing I can do is just take more iron when I need it. Dee might have more insight into this though as I only have a mild form and not very knowledgeable about anemia to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What did she do to reverse it? Mine are functioning at about 15% and thank goodness my hospitals have about 30 channels (including 3 sports channels and BET)!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, I had someone special on my mind...that always helps.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have Sickle Cell Anemia. I never blogged about it though.

    Thank you for sharing Dee.
    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  13. My body stored the extra iron, but didn't process it when I took iron supplements. That's why I take the biweekly Aranesp shots, to help it process.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know, I wouldn't blog about my conditions for a long time because I just didn't want anyone to know. It helped me accept my conditions and not let them defeat me... to talk about them. There are so many people who have symptoms that they refuse to acknowledge and I hope that reading what I post will make them take a better look at themselves and do something about it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry you have to go through Twin, but I'm proud of you for your strength and positivity. Keep your head up. I KNOW it isn't easy. Remember Who has you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's why I used to blog about my medical situation on 360, both to help educate folks and also it was a good therapy for me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm sorry that I've slacked off on my "sisterly duties". Honey you know I'm here for you if you need anything.

    I was told that I have a mild case of anemia, after my OBGYN took that "finger prick" blood test. They told me to take iron pills and I should be ok. I haven't taken them in YEARS, so I think I'm going to get one out of my bag right now and start taking them again.

    Thanks for sharing your story sis. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  18. What drew me to your page to begin with was your sharing of the kidney diet, because I have a history of kidney failure within my own family. Going on dialysis is something I have to keep in the back of my mind. My mom was on it for about 3-4 years until she got a transplant a couple years ago.

    I think we have to keep people informed of the disease and how prevalent it is in our community. I am often quite cold, but other than that, I don't exhibit many of the other symptoms of anemia. I did have to take the iron pillls during my pregnancy, which coincidentally my pregnancies are what have beat my kidneys up so bad to the point I have 50% function.

    I wish you all the best..I will keep you in my thoughts. I know the struggle for you is difficult, but you are continuously blessed by the BEST Physician we know. Keep your head up!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I never blogged about my Sickle Cell because I don't many symptoms, hardly any pain and haven't been hospitalized since the age of 12. GOD IS INDEED GOOD because I do have type SS (the most severe type) but hardly any symptoms and little to no pain.

    ReplyDelete
  20. well I was just stopping through and this was definitely an eye opener for me. I am ALWAYS the cold one, winter, spring, summer, fall it is time to bring this to my doctors attention along with a few other symptoms I've been having. Many thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. you demonstrate incredible bravery!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well, you know I'm here for you.

    I know a good "squeal" or two does wonders LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  23. WOW.. I had no idea it could be that bad. My mom is severely anemic and I always wondered why she kept sayin the doc said she might have to do shots if things didnt get better (mom didnt want to go into details). I am anemic as well and am cold when others are hot too. I dont think mine is that bad but its good to know and I will talk to my doctor about it more. I hope things do get better for you and thank you for sharing and enlightening.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Deedles....you are an amazingly strong woman and I look forward to being privileged to meet you (probably on Friday - I leave Ogden, UT today) I have suffered from anemia all my life. The older I get the more often the iron-deficiency migraines come. No amount of Vicodin, Tylenol, Motrin or anything else makes them stay away. Just heavy doses of iron bring me back to sanity. It is always worse during my cycle, so I try to remember to beef up on my iron intake a week before Aunt Flo comes to town, but usually I forget and wind up suffering for it.

    Thanks for sharing a piece of your life with us. Not all the stories of our lives are pretty, but ones like this, help to keep me humble and grounded. Much love sistah...

    Peace,
    T.

    ReplyDelete