Thursday, June 19, 2008

Kids Say The Darndest Things - A 360 Repost

Everyone who has kids or even spends time around kids has at least one story.  It doesn’t matter how old or young, how recent or how long ago, there’s a story.

Whether it’s about you, your kids or someone else’s, you have to agree; they say and do the darndest things.  Here are a few of mine...

Dee

 Elementary school, before my nerdy years, I was a normal child, mischievous at times...

I believe it was 2nd or 3rd grade and the school I attended at that time was surrounded by nature trails.  The furthest southern part of the schoolyard was a baseball diamond that held water when it rained.

A girl I was friends with, who was a few years older than me expressed a desire to go home that day, as did I.  

SOOOOO, we staged a mud wrestling match of sorts between the two of us (which was actually each of us helping the other get dirty enough to get sent home) and when it was all over I had mud from my shirt to the bottom of my socks!

Somewhere there’s a picture of it.  I don’t even remember getting in trouble because I think we each said that one of us got pushed and the other was helping the pushed one out.   We still laugh at this today. Image

Ant

This is my accident prone child.  Image Don’t believe me? A friend recently gave him the nickname AP because of it.

He’s the cause of many trips the ER.

He has...gashed his knee on a broken down swing set, got a concussion and a broken ankle during a game of FLAG FOOTBALL, refractured the ankle a couple of years later playing with his brother and cousin, got hit in the forehead with an aluminum bat (his brother slammed it on the ground and in ricocheted and busted his head), he somehow and don’t ask how, clipped a keychain to his eyelid and most recently accidentally closed part of his face in his locker.

DON’T ASK!!!  I don’t anymore and if it results in an ER visit, I make him explain, lol.

He’s also a ham though. I remember one Christmas and I think he was either 4 or 5, but unbeknownst to me, Image he told every person who asked him, that he wanted black jeans for Christmas. He must’ve gotten about 12 pair of black jeans that year, lol.

One evening we were at my mother’s with some friends of the family and he had on this shirt that was so tight, I don’t think there was any way he could breathe well, Image some black jeans and these cowboy boots with a gold toe that he wore everywhere.

Someone put on The Best of James Brown and this little dude lost his mind. For about 3 songs he shuffled and scooted and screamed Hey Hey Heyyyyyyyyyyyy!!! All over the living room!

ImageImageImageWe still talk about THAT today too! LMAO

JT

This is my more reserved child.  I made him a mama’s boy when his father died and I’ve been trying to reverse that mess ever since.

This is the one that shocks you every time because you expect Ant to do or say the crazy stuff, NOT!!!  One day when John was about 4, I overheard him telling someone a seriously fabricated story.  I couldn’t believe he had these words coming out of his mouth!  He told someone that when he was a baby he was white and had a white mom and dad.  He lived in a tall building and he choked on a pork chop.  ImageImageImage  WTH???

First of all, his dad was dark brown and ya’ll know what I look like!  We’ve never lived in a building higher than 3 floors and that’s right now and this lil negro didn’t even EAT normal food until a couple of years ago!

Of course I asked him about it and he repeated the story to anyone who would listen.  We were at his paternal grandparent’s house one day and I was telling his grandmother the story when he walked in the room.  I told him to tell his grandma about when he was a white baby.  Do you know he looked at her, looked at me and said “I’m brown now”.  And walked out of the room?!?!?! Image 

Fast forward a couple of years to coach pitch baseball.  This is a step up from tee ball and the kids are encouraged to wear a cup.   So after finding the right size and getting all the other things he needed for his first game, the day arrives.   I’d shown him how to put everything on and in what order and left him to get dressed on his own.   He yells to me that he’s dressed and ready and I say ok.

My bedroom is at the end of the main hallway and I can see the front door from my bedroom door.

I walk out the door to see him banging the door (well, humping it actually and HARD) Image.  I scream WHAT IN THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?!?!?!?! He calmly turns around and says testing out the cup.  Yep, it works, that didn’t hurt.  Image 

When you have stuff like this in your memory bank, it’s sometimes hard to stay mad at them.

What stories do you have?

33 comments:

  1. My son hasn't done anything crazy yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my daughter was about 7 years old I once asked her
    what she wanted to be when she grew up and without any hesitation
    she she said, " A PROSTITUTE" . I said" what'? She said it again," prostitute ".
    I said ,"do you know what a prostitute does for a living"? She said" yes".

    I knew she did not know the meaning of the word...So I decided to play a joke
    on her mother and grandmother . They where in the middle of
    conversation in the next room.
    So I told my a daughter to go over there interrupt their conversation and
    announce to them what you want to be when you grow up..go !

    I just waited in the next room for the response. *snickering*
    OMG her mother gasp and I could hear her grandmother yell
    something to her mother!!..lol.. Her mother asked my daughter ,
    " do you know the meaning of the word PROSTITUTE'? My daughter said," yes "..
    Her grandmother said..Oh lawrdy what is it child?
    My daughter quickly said, A PARTY PLANNER, RIGHT"?.
    I can not remember the rest of the story now because I was just
    too busy laughing my ass off in the next room and just couldn't hear them
    anymore over my laughter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, my funny story is from when I was about 5 years old. My dad LOVES to try to disguise presents so we can't tell what they are so that year, he bought me a pair of skis. My dad took a piece of cardboard and laid it across the top of the skis so it looked like a big T. When I saw them I got really excited and dad asked what I thought it was. I said something to the effect of "WOW!!!! My very own mailbox!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing crazy about that particular incident, but RJ's a humorous lil guy (like his dang Daddy). It's allllllll in the works...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I almost spit water at the monitor! OMG that is too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I almost spit water at the monitor! OMG that is too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is now our family inside joke...
    She is now A student in a Performing Arts School.
    Whenever we want a good laugh we just say, Honey tell everyone what you
    want to be when you grow up..And she just starts to blush.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When my son was about 3 my mom bout him a puzzle that had this picture of grass and trees. So one day he was about to go home she puts the puzzle in a ziploc bag and my son got it and said he had some good.

    I damn near fell off my chair...my mom was like..some who baby..some who..I was like SOME WOOD...lets go chile its getting late.

    And talk like that had to have come from his dad ***rolling eyes***

    ReplyDelete
  9. LMAO...
    that is definitely unforgettable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I was very quiet as a child so I didn't really have any moments where I said anything outlandish. The only time probably happened when I was 16 and I was with my mother and she was watching Oprah(man, Oprah has been around a long damn time lol) and it was a show about teenagers who had contracted HIV. My mother looked at me and said "She that's what happens when you aren't careful and doing things you shouldn't be doing". And for some reason what came out of my mouth was "Yeah, luckily I haven't caught anything yet". I tried to cover my mouth but I was too late, it was already out LOL

    I have no idea why there was a disconnect with my inner filter that didn't catch that statement but I will never forget the look on her face lol

    As for my children, my daughter's mouth is CONSTANTLY moving so it's hard to pick out any particular things. I do remember when she was in pre-school she started to call caucasians "Pink People". That was an interesting because she didn't get that from her mother and she definitely didn't get it from me lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. LMAO...I bet your mom was just thrilled to hear that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh damn,.. there was one good one...

    When Alex was probably four years old, I took her with me on one of my infamous road trips to St=Louis. Not far from the Pittsburgh International Airport I conked out behind the wheel and my car left the road and dipped into a shallow embankment. Luckily we were not hurt and my car wasn't damaged. Alex was sleeping quietly through the melee until the Pennsylvania State Police came tapping on the window with a VERY large flashlight.

    Fast forward a few weeks. We're at my grandmother's, and somebody asked Alex, what did you and your Mom do last weekend. She said, Mommy and I were driving, and then I woke up in a hole with a bright light in my face. You could have heard a pin drop. Everybody turned and looked at ME, so I threw her right under the bus.... I said I don't know what she's talking about, must be watching them scary movies again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ROFL!!! You were so wrong for that!!!! ROFL

    ReplyDelete
  14. oH SHE WAS HOT... she was like REALLY, there was a man in a hat with a flashlight and he put it in my eyes... She was mad at me for a long minute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Okay my Mom worked hard, and for a while money was real, real tight. So we were beans and rice, pasta, and peanut butter and honey sandwiches.

    Well after a few months of peanut buter my sister just lost it!!! So out of her 5 year old mouth
    "Peanut butter, Peanut butter, Peanut butter!!!! Why can't we ever have bologna and cheese?"
    All we could do is laugh.

    To this day my sister will NOT eat Peanut Butter. ROFL

    ReplyDelete
  16. These stories are too cute. I don't have any kid stories yet..and well lil man can't talk (my morkie). Hopefully soon i'll have one or three.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My son had an early obsession with cars. As soon as he was talking, he knew the make and model of every car out there. His favorite was the new Volkswagen beetle. I remember walking through the parking lot at Target , holding his hand, and he was naming every car we passed...his little 3 year old voice saying, "Honda, Fode (Ford)..." and a man behind was was just grinning, said, "WOW, he knows his stuff!" So here I go, showing him off. We come up on a Volkwagen and just as I realize I don't think he's every actually said the word, he goes, LOUD, "look mommy, a ho-wagon!"

    That poor man just fell OUT cracking up.

    Not long after that, we were working on colors, but he decided that the colors of the "ho-wagons" were not red, yellow or green. Ooooooh no. They were, Ketchup, Mustard, and Guacamole. But could his little 3 year old mouth say guacamole? No.

    I'd be driving along and from his little carseat I'd hear, "mommy, waccadoddy ho-wagon!" And I knew EXACTLY what he meant...LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These stories are so cute.

    When my foster sister was 5 we would always watch ANTM (America's Next Top Model). We would watch it religiously and she would know the exact day and time it was coming on. She would get her lil Sponge Bob chair and in my room she would sit.

    Well this was a night when Mrs. Jay was showing the ladies how to walk down the cat-walk and of course he was dressed to kill. As soon as he appeared on screen and stepped to that run-way my lil sister said: "Look at that fool in that dress". I couldn't stop laughing. I was like where did she here this at and how does she know what a fool is.From then on I know i would have to watch everything i said cause she was mimicking my behavior.

    That is until we went into check cashing one day and they wouldn't cash my work check cause it was post dated. The lady was like: "I'm so sorry but you can come back tomorrow". My lil sister say out loud " Forget her, and forget this place. Let's go somewhere else". Still at five.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Time of Death - 7:51 pm
    Cause of Death: Cardiac Arrest from laughing myself STUPID

    ReplyDelete
  20. ROFLLLLLLLLLLL...yeah, I was definitely one of bigdaddyt's daughter's PINK people right about then.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I had a little girl in my daycare class whose mom was white with blonde hair and blue eyes, and her dad was dark skinned jamaican. So she would say, My Daddy is brown, my mommie is Pink and I am Tan... Good way to look at it LOL

    My best friend and I say pink too (and I am a pink people so it doesn't offend me LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Is my nephew in your class? He went around the family one day doing just that. His mom was tan and his dad (my brother) was white (go figure).

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOL...I was able to bring my son to the pizza party the last day of my long term sub gig...one student was sooo cute when he asked me why I was white and my son was brown. He was so serious about it, he really wanted to understand.

    ReplyDelete