Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Don't Believe In Miracles? (A 360 repost)

After reading Caramelkisses' testimony, I told her I'd post one of my many...Here goes...

I was thumbing through an old photo album not too long ago and I came across some pictures that reminded me that if I should thank the Lord every day for no other reason, it should be for allowing me to walk away from this van...yes an ASTRO VAN! I remember a few years ago someone in my Sunday School class said that Jesus didn't perform miracles in modern days, only in the days of the bible. Let me tell you what I told him.......

It was a cold November Sunday morning in 1995, and I'd decided to ride with my mother to her newly appointed church in Godfrey, IL. We were having dinner after church so we had a crock pot, some pyrex dishes and a few canned items in the back.

I'd decided we had gotten up waaaay too early, so I looked at my son in the back seat and he looked uncomfortable, so I took him out of his seat belt and let him lay on the seat. I don't know why he wasn't in a car seat, maybe they weren't enforcing the law much then. Anyway, I remember seeing snow starting to blow across the highway (we were traveling I-55 South) and we were coming up on Litchfield, which meant I had enough time to catch a cat nap. The last thing I saw before I reclined my seat was another Springfield pastor whose church was in nearby Alton, go flying past. I remember thinking that his tires couldn't even be really touching the ground.

I lay my seat back and closed my eyes and almost immediately I heard my mom say “Oh Lord!” The next thing I remember was thinking “We’re rolling. When will it stop?” It seemed like we rolled 4 or 5 times.   I don’t really know how many, but I know that when we stopped I was upside down.

I mean as soon as I opened my eyes, there was a woman poking her head in the window saying “I’m a nurse, can I take your vitals?” “Is anyone hurt?” Then it hit me that my son was in the van somewhere and I didn’t hear him. So I started screaming his name and his little head popped down from under me, which was now on top of me. I pulled him down and the woman took him out the window and wrapped him in a blanket as she checked him out. 

 I called my mom, I don’t remember why I couldn’t see her because she was next to me, but she didn’t say anything and I started freaking out. To this day I don’t know how I got out of the van, but the next thing I remember is sitting in a man’s car with my son while the fire department used the “Jaws of Life” to cut my mom out of the van.

When the ambulances got on the scene, they put me on a stretcher and put my son and I in one and took us to the hospital. I’d always heard Litchfield referred to and Lynchville, so I wasn’t comfortable at all going to their hospital. I couldn’t have been more wrong.

I was examined, x-rayed, poked and prodded for hours. I didn’t know where my son was and a state trooper was kind enough to come and let me know that my mother had been extracted from the van and also being examined. Then he handed me a can of peaches.  Yes, peaches! He’d found it in the grass near the accident and at that time he told me something I’ll never forget. Be mindful of the things you carry in your car because in an accident, something as innocent as a can of peaches can become a weapon.

I kept telling the people examining me that my vision was blurry in my right eye. They checked it, gave me eye drops and checked again and it still didn’t clear up. They concentrated on picking shards of glass out of my leg. My leg was crossed when I laid back. When they finished, I was asked how I felt. I told them I felt ok, but that my vision was still blurry.

They dilated my right eye and put some special fluorescent drops in my eye and turned out the lights. They shined some special light on it and discovered a shard of glass right in my iris. I don’t remember what happened next, I just know they removed it.

By this time a nurse brought my son in to see me. Lo and behold, in this so-called all white prejudiced town, here comes my son on the hip of a black nurse and bragging about all the jello and green beans he’d eaten.

The nurse assured me that they’d found nothing wrong with him in his exam and that he was entertaining the nurse’s station. (What a surprise.)

About that time my dad and uncle came in to my room and said they’d been to the place where the car was towed and got all the information my mom would need for the insurance. They’d gotten our purses out and took pictures for insurance purposes (my uncle was a former state trooper and knew all these things).

We waited and waited and when it was over and done with, my mom had several stitches, a bunch of cuts and a funky new set of bangs.

Turns out that when I was calling her, she was passed out. When she came to, we were already out of the van. Skeptic about seatbelts? If she hadn’t had her seatbelt on, she’d have likely been under the van because her fingertips were pinned under and so was the front of her hair, hence the new hairstyle.

It also turns out that my son NOT being in a belt is probably what saved him (well I know it was the LORD who saved him) but logistically, he fell under my reclined seat and when we were rolling, he was safely kept between the seat and the floor.

Turns out when we finally stopped, we were upside down on a median just yards away from the northbound traffic.

We were given some real good painkillers and released.

Anyone who’s been in an accident knows that when you wake up the next day, you don’t recognize yourself. You are one big walking bruise. By the way, when you buy a used vehicle, make sure the air bags work. These didn’t, so when we flipped it was the seatbelts that held us in place and every place the belt touched was a bruise. We looked like Big Sal had taken us out back to rough us up. Mom had 2 black eyes, just looked beat down (shaking my head).

All this to say, that even when I wasn’t actively seeking the Lord, He had his angels of mercy all around me.

FYI-angels are NOT the cutesy lil naked babies or beautiful golden hair, white winged beings society says they are. Read any story in the bible about angels speaking or showing themselves to someone, they always say Do Not Fear or Don’t Be Afraid. That’s a whole ‘nother blog though.

Just wanted to share how I’ve been blessed.

 

12 comments:

  1. Wow Girl- Isn't life wonderful ! I am so happy you are around to share that testimony.

    I will keep mine shorter than yours, but say that I had just moved to upstate NY and my whole family and I went out for my moms birthday. After, my sister decided to take my daughter in her car and I took my son in mine. He was 18 months, in a front facing carseat. We were in a van too. (I will never drive anything else, at least NEVER a car) Anywho I was driving and saw lights cut real close behind me and then swerve back and a car hit us from behind, flipped my car who knows how many times and down an embankment. Now the highway up here has a billion spots that either has a guardrail, which would have bounced me back in to traffic, or steep hills, with water at the bottom. I just happened to get hit where neither was. As we were spinning, my son screamed a scream that I never want to hear again, and I actually turned as we were flipping so I could watch him. When we landed we were on the passenger side, so we were both hanging. I had to unbuckle and drop into the passenger seat and crawl in the back to get him. The impact was so strong my boots came off.

    All I know is that the doors were shut and I screamed for someone to open the trunk and this angel of a man appeared and opened the door.

    soooo many things could have gone different that day.. and I am soooo thankful that none of them did.

    God is Good... All the Time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three years ago while my own car was broke down I was driving my roommate's '95 Regal. The last payment had been made on it Friday. Sunday I took the car to see a girlfriend and decided to run some errands on the way home. It had rained for about five minutes (which in the summer is the time when the road is the slickest)... I didn't quite negotiate a turn on an on-ramp... the car went straight ahead, going between two road signs that I SWORE I was going to hit, pitched up over the curb and came to rest at a 45 degree angle *tilted to the driver's side*... but the killler was the car stopped about 10 feet before the embankment opened up into this big open concrete area that had a sewer or something at the bottom.

    Alex and I made it out of that one without a scratch. My roommate's car was totaled though. :(

    God TRULY watches for babies and fools.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "All this to say, that even when I wasnt actively seeking the Lord, He had his angels of mercy all around me."

    Amen *sniffle*

    ReplyDelete
  4. i shared part of mine on ma blog yesterday but it was the after math of a very rough start. my stomach muscle was compleatly contracted when i was born n it took a lil over a month 2 diagnose and treat that was ma dr's 1st clue that finally let to me being diagnosed with a rare genetic disorder and my parents being told they didnt expect me to live past age six mind you i was 3 when i was diagnosed with beals syndrome not the best news 4 a parent ta hear but here i am at age 22 coping well and livin better than expected god is good an no respector what he did 4 paul lazurus and the like then he will do for you now

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow!!! praise God you, your mom, and son are all still here and in one piece! does he have any recollection of the accident?

    ReplyDelete
  6. PRAISE GOD! Awesome testimony! I am glad you are here today to tell it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He's got you and your family too...you just have to ask and then let Him. (((HUG)))

    ReplyDelete
  8. If we take the time to reflect, we'll see that each of us is a walking miracle.

    ReplyDelete