Monday, December 1, 2008

How Can I Be A Kidney Donor?

It's no secret that I have kidney disease. I just received my informational packet for transplant recipients and a few of you have asked me what does one do to become a possible donor.

I am providing a link to the transplant information on the site of the hospital I will have the surgery at when the time comes, but I called and got some additional information today.

For the 1st round of testing, possible donors need to call Barnes Kidney Transplant Division (after I turn in my application) at 1-866-867-3627. They will give the required information over the phone and be sent a packet. If they live out of town (from St. Louis), they will also be sent a kit for their blood to be drawn locally and sent back via prepaid package.

If they prove to be a good possible match, there will be further blood tests done, chest xrays, EKG and for women a pap and mammogram. Which can also be done at a local hospital or if those tests have already been done recently, they will send a packet out which will include a letter for their doctor's office to fax the information they need.

If the possible donor passes those tests and it looks like the match will be a good one, a third series of tests will be done at Barnes. It will be a 1/2 day of tests that will be paid for by Barnes.

(They test 5 donors at a time)

Barnes does NOT pay for travel.

The final eligible donor will go to St. Louis for the surgery and my insurance pays for their hospital stay.

If you're still interested in more information, please go to http://www.barnesjewish.org/transplant/default.asp?NavID=3424

If you're interested, let me know.

29 comments:

  1. Oh honey!
    I'm definately going to keep you in prayer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big hugs and good luck with getting a donor. I'd probably die of shock if they would accept an organ donation from me, seeing as i'm not healthy and have had kidney problems in the past. I am lifting you up in prayer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh honey!
    I'm definately going to keep you in prayer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just don't hit me near my kidneys. I offered her 1 of mine back when we were just friends. I hate not keeping a promise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'LL BE PRAYIN U GET A DONOR....LORD KNOWS I COULD FIND MYSELF IN YOUR SHOES ONEDAY...BEING BORN WITH JUST ONE FUCNTIONING KIDNEY AND MY DIABETES SLOWLY GETTING OUT OF CONTROL......PRAYER IS POWERFUL...I'M GONNA PASS THIS INFO ON...THANKS SIS

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please get that diabetes under control! They wouldn't consider you a good recipient!

    Just like I've got to lose more than the 50 lbs. I've already lost.

    ReplyDelete
  7. and Dee: best of luck to you. i will be praying for you a speedy donor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YOU GO, GIRL!!!!!

    Cheering for you from the East Coast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What??? I didn't say a thing. *turning on halo*

    ReplyDelete
  10. deedles u know i got soooooo much love for you n wish that i were able to up 1 of mine 4 u but b/c of my own health issues i cant so i will continue to pray 4 u. i know that you were told that ya wieght might stop u from getting the transplat please please please dont let that hault you i know ive shared this with u b4 when we were celebrating my grandfathers bdaya few months ago but i want you to always keep in mind that he was told no because he was already 80 years old and even with the transplant he didnt have much life left to live but 17 years later he is still here goin strong u keep pushin and fightin cause doctors dont kno everything (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just imagine you with my kidney on the inside!

    Seriously, you're looking well w/the dropped weight!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have already been tested and tried. There are so many things I would have to do to give Shawn a kidney. He said he just wants the baby instead!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Keep me posted. We are Twins, after all! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wanted to give my mom mine, but I wasn't a good candidate with my own kidney issues. Best to you Dee. And be ready for that phone call...it's shocking when you get it, but it's a fast and furious ride to the hospital. I'm praying for you and your donor.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think that is awesome Dee! I know I wouldn't be a good candidate because of my health issues (including my diabetes), but I have faith that everything will work in your favor. Remember, when man says No, God says yes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is good info, thanks for sharing. You know I will be praying hard that you receive a donor. (((((Hugs)))))

    ReplyDelete
  17. Im gonna check it out... who knows maybe Ill be a match.....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Keeping you in my prayers that you find a matching donor.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Deets, you know imma try, let us know when your paperwork is in, so we can call.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My daughter offered me hers, but because she has not been married yet, had babies and is my baby I declined. If she was older and had a family I "might" consider, but knowing me its unlikely......I don't want to risk my baby.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I declined my son's for similar reasons. My sister offered me hers yesterday and at first I didn't want anything from my immediately family because what if something went wrong and theirs failed? Then I realized God is in charge and if that happened, that He would take care of it too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I know thats true, I am just so overprotective of her, if you would have saw how I was after she had her tonsils out.....it was a mess lol. She just started her career and I don't want to impose......I know Jesus has the wheel so whatever is going to be is going to be. God is going to take care of all our needs, I truly believe that!

    ReplyDelete